Numen provides an offer taking advantage of the latest technological advances and allowing to digitalise all types of goods through several procedures of acquisition: incunabula, old books, newspapers, photographs, maps and plans, parchments, objects (3D digitalisation).
The Pompidou Centre is an institution devoted to modern and contemporary creativity which since 1977 has run many innovative schemes, working to promote artistic collections as diverse as the visual arts, live performance and literature.
Numen was selected by the Pompidou Centre for the job of validating and/or improving the indexing of material in the collections, namely the audiovisual collection, the works in the museum's collection, and the archive holdings. During this process,the production chain planned production phases for information on a physical resource and the revision of information during updating of the resources.
Account & Project Manager
Digitisation of our assets is a job for experts.
Every year we select the best scanners on the market, our operators undergo very strict training for handling the works and our documentalists create suitable metadata to facilitate access.
Experience and skills
Leader of heritage digitisation in Europe, Numen provides cultural institutions with a digitalisation offer dedicated to heritage property:
- Cultural heritage digitisation serves several purposes:
- Long term preservation of cultural heritage for the benefit of future generations
- Active part of a strategy of knowledge democratisation, access to culture, knowledge and education, at all levels
- Enhanced collections through specific events (commemorations, anniversaries…)
- Raised visibility to reach more people
- Evaluation of digitalisation constraints in interaction with curators
- Implementation of workshop depending on the documents / items types and state of preservation (on site if necessary)
- Documents are managed by trained staff aware of the handling process of precious books and items
Images digitalisation and treatment
- Choice of the digitalisation procedure (paper, shots or 3D)
- Digitalisation on the appropriate digitisers according to the physical constraints such as the fragility of documents / items
- Uncompressed capture of images in high resolution (colour or grey level)
- Shots cropping, clipping or reorientation
- Colorimetric processing of images after checking the colours fidelity between the screen view and the original document
- Basic metadata entry (newspaper name, photograph title, incunabulum title, poster name, items information…) according to standards, if applicable
- Segmentation and validation of the reading order
- Optical character recognition if required
- Securing images by applying a watermark
Multiple formats of delivery JPG 2000, JPG, TIFF, PDF hidden text, PDF archive
Numen Digital, widely known on the market for its cultural heritage digitisation activities, is also a major player in the production of electronic books. In collaboration with the Ligaran company, Numen Digital has produced electronic books for Hachette Livre Group for nearly two years now: Le Livre de poche, Stock, Editions Grasset, Fayard, Hatier, Rageot… but also for other groups such as Editis, Milan, ENS Lyon.
Numen Digital also became the supplier of electronic formats for BNF-Partenariats and Ligaran, as part of the Ilivri project. The goal of this project is to create the largest digital library of French literature freely accessible, by diffusing in digital format, an as complete as possible corpus of books from the 16th century to the middle of the 20th century (books not protected by copyright), whose sources are preserved in the Bibliothèque nationale de France.
As part of this project, Numen provides a modular platform allowing to treat all input original formats, paper or digital sources (doc, pdf, xml, html, scan, indd…) to convert them into electronic books. The service involves collecting documents in different paper or electronic formats, extracting the content and correcting it to get a text of editorial quality (a true copy of the original and/or correction of misprints), structuring the document in XML and converting the XML document in epub.
The quality of the reproduced text is a determining customer benefit. Once paper books are digitalised, texts produced by market available OCR software contain many mistakes which renders readability difficult. To ensure the editorial quality of the produced ePub, our R&D department has worked hard on improving the performance of character recognition processes by using the language processing, and more specifically statistical and hybrid linguistic methods. Operators then manually intervene for corrections on the problems detected by our applications.
Numen Digital thus uses all its creativity to enhance content from editorial or cultural products